8.07.2014

FASHION FACES: 1.0

I don’t know if I’ve ever talked much about fashion makeup here in the past, but it’s something that I’ve been a bit of a fanatic about for years. I idolized Pat McGrath’s work before I even knew that she was the hand behind most runway shows. My Pinterest Makeup board is covered in shots of her work. And personally I love having a creative outlet where makeup can be more that something to make yourself feel pretty. So I’ve decided to start a fashion series that has nothing to do with day to day makeup, but instead is about enjoying the artistry of makeup. I really hope it’s something that you guys will enjoy.


I enlisted the help of my hideously ugly sister, Kate, to be my model today. It was rough. It took a lot of photoshopping, but I managed to make her face passable enough to put on the internet. Just kidding. I’m lucky to have a beautiful sister who was willing to lend me her face. No photoshopping required. I’ll quickly run you guys through what I did for the shot.

I started by picking a sheer foundation a few shades lighter than her natural skin tone (MUFE Face and Body) and buffed it onto her face and down her neck. I also took a fair amount over her lips to keep everything blanched out. I then used my Derma Color Camouflage Palette to touch up any imperfections and brighten up under the eyes. That was all I did to the skin as I wanted the look to be all about the eyes and for everything else to fade away.

I stuck to cream products for the eyes. I think they create a beautiful color tone and texture. I blended a combination of plum-toned lipstick (Rimmel Kate Moss 09), the darkest shade from my Maqpro Palette (an amazing all-rounder palette to have by the way) and NYX’s Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean in an ombre effect over the lids. I know that lipstick might seem like an odd choice for eyes, but I think one of the joys of makeup is finding innovative ways of using it. Finally right before we look the shot I applied a clear gloss onto the lids and voila – that was the look.

That’s it guys. I’d love your feedback on these posts. Am I giving too much detail on what I did or was it interesting? Ps. please help me think of a better name for this series! Pps. just so you know, she was wearing a shirt in the picture. We just pulled the straps down. We don’t prance around the house half nude for fun.

...all of the time.




17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous makeup, I am definitely looking forward to more in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is stunning! I really like the idea of using lipstick on the eyes, though it would be so impractical in real life - I feel like it would be a creasey mess! I really love the idea of these posts though and look forward to reading more. I actually really like the title btw :P

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! Love the eyeshadow color !!!! Amazing work xxxx

    You are welcome to visit
    my blog -- http://www.mlleepaulettegirl.com/

    Message me on
    insta --
    insta@mlleepaulettegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, work and photography Holly! Bravo!!! I'd love to see more! :D
    What about "On the backstage" or "Backstage faces"? I love this word's feeling!

    http://cups-and-roses.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! You are always so supportive. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha yeah terrible idea for real life, but kind of fun in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay. I'm really glad because I love doing this kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a good idea! I love the make up so much. You've created a really great look. I can definitely see this on the runway!

    http://www.chloetheredhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. Runway makeup is just the ultimate exciting makeup to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The look u've created here is just gorgeous! I love the idea of using lipstick as an eyeshadow! I can't wait to see your next look :D x
    Beautywithcharm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this. Well done! I look forward to more!


    Velvet Row

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. I can't wait to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i bet kate was full on nude for the entire shot. Just kidding, anyway - this made me LOL today so I thank you for that. Nice job on the makeups.

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha yeah, we don't prance around *half* nude.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love love love the eye makeup! The post was really interesting, don't worry about the details, we need them! ;)


    gyudynotesofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete