1.30.2015

7 THINGS TO REMOVE FROM YOUR BLOGGER TEMPLATE


It's that time again - time for another post on cleaning up zee blogger template. I enjoyed writing the initial 5 Quick Ways To Clean Up Your Blogger Template and the follow up 5 More Ways To Clean Up Your Blogger Template. This time I thought I'd take a slightly different approach. As a reader, one of the things that overwhelms me when I enter a blog is too much clutter. So I've compiled a list of 7 different elements that are easily removable and won't be missed!

1. Remove the navbar
I'm not too keen on the blogger navbar. It doesn't really serve a useful purpose these days and it can clash with the look of your blog. To remove it:

Go to your dashboard and select the “Layout” tab. In the top right of the layout you will see your “Navbar” with an option to “edit.” Click “edit” and a window will pop up with the option to alter the colour scheme or turn off the Navbar altogether.


2. Remove clutter from your footer
Blogger adds a whole load of info to your footer, such as author and time posted, that you likely don't want displayed. To clean up the footer all you have to do is:

Go to your dashboard and select the “Layout” tab. There you will see your “Blog Post” gadget. Click “edit” on the gadget and a window will pop up. Under “Page Post Options” you have the ability to un-check (and remove) any elements.


3. Remove or beautify the "showing posts with label..." message
The status message that pops up at the top of your page when you search through labels 'ent all that pretty. You can either remove it completely or you can pretty it up quite nicely if you desire. Xomisse has a great tutorial here on how to do either option.


4. Remove the borders around your images
This is completely a personal preference thing, but the look most people seem to be going for these days is sleek and clean. Removing the borders from you images will help add to that look. To do so add this code to your Add CSS box:

.post-body img, .post-body .tr-caption-container, .Profile img, .Image img,
.BlogList .item-thumbnail img {
  padding: 0 !important;
  border: none !important;
  background: none !important;
  -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important;
  -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important;
  box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important;
}


5. Remove the dotted lines at the bottom of the page and between the pager
Blogger templates come with a dotted line above their "powered by blogger" attribution and even more dotted line in between the pager (Newer Posts, Home, Older Posts). If you want to remove these lines, simply add this to your Add CSS box:

.footer-outer {
border: none;
}

.blog-pager {
background: none;
}


6. Remove the "Subscribe to Post Atom" message at the bottom of the page
This is a fairly insignificant detail, but if you're picky and anal like me it might bug you to see this guy hanging around all the time. To remove it search your HTML code and delete the line below:

<b:include data='feedLinks' name='feedLinksBody'/>


7. Remove the comments from your About and Contact pages
This area isn't necessarily an ideal space for comments. It's probably a good idea to keep it as straightforward and organized as possible for anyone who needs to find your contact info or wants to read your bio. To disable comments:

Head to the dashboard, go to "Pages" and click "edit" on the page in question. Once your in that page look to your right sidebar, click "Options" and under "Reader Comments" select "don't allow, hide existing."

36 comments:

  1. Thank you! This post was very useful for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tips are so helpful, your blog design is stunning!

    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this! I just removed this annoying "showing posts with label..." thing! :) xx

    www.anacelinelabod.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the 5th point! I wanted to do that for the beginning and now it's much better. I'm pleased to see that I don't have the other point sooo I can be proud of my design lol

    http://atouchofpink1.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a helpful post, thank you so much! It's amazing how making small changes here and there can make a blog look so much better!


    Tessa at Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! I've changed quite a few things on my blog now with your tips and it looks a lot better now :)

    Ling | The Cosmetic Critic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of these things the template I have already removed. After reading your post I removed the comments on my pages. Thanks! :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, so many of these things can really detract from the look. This is a great resource for people who are new to blogging and formatting their page!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! Thanks for sharing! I removed the border with that code. I was having a hard time removing. Thanks! xoxo


    Angelus, angelus-officially.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has given me some great ideas to help clean up my blog. Huge thankyou!

    Amanda / Amanda's Escape

    ReplyDelete
  11. useful post :)

    I'm running a giveaway (lorac pro pallet+ the wet brush), if you're interested, check this link:

    little taste of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has been such a help to a new blogger like me, thank you xx


    Kelly - The Life Bath

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh I've been wanting to ditch that nav bar for ages and I had no idea you could! Yesssssss, thank you! Don't know how I missed that one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started blogging this month, so this was a great idea to post about ! :) x


    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice one, I'd definitely add getting rid of the Powered by Blogger at the bottom of the page too ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips, thank you! I've been wondering how to get rid of the time in the footer, so this post was a lot of help to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Duly noted m'lady. Thank you as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm itching to change to Wordpress now. I wish I hadn't invested so much time in Blogger to be honest. I think you made the right move.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No problem. Glad I could be of service!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's amazing what a breath of fresh air it feels like to remove those borders.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome! I'm really glad this stuff actually came in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much Maddy! Same goes to you. Chaitra did such a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh good. Yeah I just think it's hard to remember to keep track of those comments anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha oh sweet, sweet satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah number 5 just seems like such an odd thing to include by default. Not sure why Blogger did that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excellent. It's pretty satisfying to see that stuff go.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These posts are so useful, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. these are all good advice
    www.sheandtell.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never thought about this. Thank you so much for these great tips! Xx

    THOUGHTS IN TIFFANY BLUE

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the post! I've been trying for ages to get rid of my border around my photos and you sorted my problem so fast. XX


    www.aslice.truths.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are so helpful! Although I'm struggling with 4, if anyone could possibly help me please?!

    Emily // Beauty and Lifestyle Blog



    xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great blog post! I was wondering how to delete the "Subscribe to Post Atom" thing for a while now. lol


    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete