2.16.2015

HOW TO ADD VOLUME TO YOUR HAIR


Who doesn't like big hurr, amiright? I'm not talking about beauty queen hair. I just mean a little summin summin so your precious locks aren't looking flaccid. Anyone else like to slip in foul words every now and then? Now I have quite a lot of hair. I know this because every hair dresser I've ever been to remarks “wow, you have quite a lot of hair” and my powers of deduction are impeccable. However, the quantity of my hair certainly doesn't guarantee it looking voluminous and lush. I find that it still tends to fall flat at the top of my head. I've discovered a few products and techniques in the past year that have helped prevent any cases of limpness – my little blue pills if you will. Hey-oh!

The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo
Clarifying shampoos are a great way to start if you're looking to get some good volume at your root. They strip away any oils and built up product and leave your hair weightless. This shampoo from The Body Shop doesn't specifically describe itself as a clarifying shampoo, but I've actually found it to do a more effective job than any other actual clarifying shampoos that I've tried. My hair is always left feeling fresh and light and, bonus, it smells deliciously of fresh ginger.

Dove Oxygen Moisture Root Life Spray
Once I'm out of the shower and I've towel dried my hair, I like to use something to lift my roots some more. I find that the Dove Oxygen Moisture Root Lift helps give my roots that extra boost without leaving a gross, crunchy feeling. While the spray seems to help to some degree on its own, the effects are a lot more noticeable when used with a blow dryer. I'll get to that in a minute though.

Lush Sea Spray
For those with perhaps slightly thinner or finer hair that needs volume added throughout, a sea salt spray is a good option. Just spray it through the lengths of your hair and scrunch. It'll create natural texture and wave that will bulk up your hair. I've got a recipe for a homemade sea salt spray here, but I'm also a fan of the Lush Sea Spray (warning: you really need to like the smell of neroli to use this one).

Blow Dry Upside Down
The absolute best tip I can give for adding volume to your hair is to blow dry it upside down. Even if you don't have time to do your whole head of hair, just giving a quick blast through the roots will help. If you want to go that extra mile, try using a diffuser attachment. It'll lock in any wave you naturally possess or have managed to create with your sea salt spray.

If All Else Fails...
Annnnd of course if none of this is enough, a quick spritz to the roots with some dry shampoo, some hair spray and going to town with some backcombing will always work.

15 comments:

  1. Wouldn't of thought about Lush, but I don't want to be missing out now!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Dove hair care range, I am definitely going to pick this one.

    Zeynab x

    The Beauty Load

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have a problem with my hair falling flat at the top of my head. My hair is weird - I have a lot of it but it's quite thin. I'm having problems with my hair getting oily quicker than usual too, so that Body Shop shampoo seems good! I have the Lush Sea Salt Spray but personally don't think it really works for my hair (or I'm using too much!) because it leaves my hair feeling quite gross.


    Emma | ohflowerchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of back combing makes me wince :/ I'd like to try the upside down blow dry, but I'm excessively uncoordinated and may end up just throwing my hairdryer onto the floor or hitting myself in the face or something...

    ellabooxo • beauty & lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so must try sea spray from lush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always blow dry upside down! I was too lazy to figure out how to add volume my hair so I got a wavy perm, but I got a haircut over winter break, so my hair is back to being stick straight. Because I have less hair now, it hasn't been weighing down so much, but I still miss my wavy perm :P I'm gonna have to try the DIY sea salt spray! Honestly, I just need more beach and summer in my life right now haha -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I use Big by Lush, I never think of Lush for hair products. Great recommendations x


    pintsizedbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I struggle with my hair a lot! It's frizzy and it gets crazy, but at the same time it lacks the "good" volume, the roots are flat and the ends get fluffy, lol. First World Problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this exact same problem. For me I often do the same thing I described up above, except I'll use a smoothing treatment, instead of the sea salt spray through the lengths and often just quickly run a straightener over just the bottoms where it gets most frizzy. Frizzy hair is a pain in the butt to control.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. I wouldn't have thought have lush either for hair if I hadn't seen the spray on Ghost Parties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh do I ever feel you about needing more beach and summer right now. We just went through weeks and weeks are non-stop rain (classic Vancouver weather) and I'm desperate for some light.
    I totally also did a perm once. Though I find those treatments never last that long on my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha I'd love to see this attempted upside down blow drying. Sounds like the show of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's always those thickening powders, like what Osis makes. Though the amount of build up I get from those is not my favourite thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok so i think i need that lush sea spray...i hate my limp hair.

    le jolie

    ReplyDelete