5.21.2014

GETTING YOUR SUMMER GLOW GOING

I’m dressing less and less like a nun these days with the weather steadily improving. I’ve even been getting these old lobster arms out to see the light of day. Impressive no? It seemed fitting to assemble some products that compliment the end of the Dark Age and the dawn of a new light (I hate when people are overly dramatic. Thank God I effectively steer clear of that). Nothing makes me feel more summery than using products that leave my skin looking tanned, dewy and radiant. This is particularly true when I’ve not actually got a tan yet and I’m still as pale as an Englishman in the midst of summer.


L-R: La Roche Posay Autohelios, Laura Mercier Radiance Bronze Primer, L'oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream, Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzer, Benefit Watt's Up Highlighter

I like to start with a bit of a (fake) base tan if I’m really going for the summer glow. For my face and neck I’ll use La Roche Posay Autohelios. I’ve recently written a more detailed post about this (excellent for sensitive skin about sums it up). Laura Mercier recently launched a new Radiance Bronze Foundation Primer that is lovely. It’s that same fantastic formula as her traditional primers, but it gives a true golden glow. I’ve been using this primer without any foundation over top just because the effect it so nice. If you do want to follow up with a foundation it’s nice to go light for the summer. The L’oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream adds just a touch of coverage and doesn’t get too greasy feeling in the heat. Of course bronzer is a key ingredient in a glowing summer look. The Bourjois Delice de Poudre gives a nice warming effect to the skin. It smells deliciously of coconut chocolate and it’s matte (horay for matte!). Be warned if you have pale pink toned skin this bronzer might be too orange for you. If you want an extra boost in the glow department (and who doesn’t) you can add a little highlighter on the top of your cheekbones, bridge of your nose and cupid’s bow.


L-R: Nyx Cream Blush in Orange, Revlon Photoready Cream Blush in Coral Reef, Benefit Coralista Blush

A nice bright blush is always lovely. When you apply it lightly it doesn’t make you look like a member of the Insane Clown Posse, but instead it brings a lot of life to the face. I’m very keen on the Revlon Cream Blush in Coral Reef right now. It has a cream to powder finish, but it still gives a beautiful glow that looks undetectable as makeup. Nyx Cream Blush in Orange is also beautiful and unlike the Revlon one, it’s a true cream blush – it doesn’t set so it keeps a sheen on the cheeks. Of course if you’re looking to venture into more of a pink shade then Benefit Coralista is a classic. It has super fine golden shimmer in it, which leaves your cheeks looking especially glowy. Milani Luminoso is a good drugstore dupe for this one. 


L-R: Estee Lauder Pure Colour Stay on Shadow in Cosmic, Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Barely Branded, Sleek Pout Polish in Bare Minimum, Revlon JBKBS in Rendez Vous, Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Rose, Rimmel French Manicure Pro in French Lingerie & Essie Bikini So Teeny

Then you can polish ‘er off with some eyes, lips and nails. Make ‘er feel right pretty. I’ve already professed my love for cream eyeshadows so I think it comes as no surprise that that’s what I would suggest for eyes. For lips I like wearing something light and easy for the summer. With all the popsicles that I’m inevitably going to be shoving in my face, let’s not worry about a conventional lipstick. We’re not fancy here. If you do want a bit of a statement colour on the lips the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm stains are a great option. They wear off in such a way that you’re not going to get them all over your face. And of course nails... pale translucent white nails look so good against tanned skin and I think that look never goes out of style. But if you’re looking for more of a fun colour it’s got to be Essie Bikini So Teeny. It’s the perfect pastel periwinkle blue. 


Bourjois Bronzer, Sleek Bare Minimum, Burt's Bees Rose, Revlon Rendez Vous, Estee Lauder Cosmic, Maybelline Barely Branded, Laura Mericer Radiance Bronze, Benefit Watt's Up, Revlon Coral Reef, Benefit Coralista, Nyx Orange

Okay before I go I’ve got a quick side story here for you guys. Right after I finished taking photos for this post, out of the corner of my eye I saw a massive spider drop down (from Lord knows where?!) and land on top of my camera case. I now feel like there’s probably some sort of ninja team of spiders ready to attack at any given second. I may have to burn my house down after I put this post up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment