5.19.2014

A CLASSIC MAKEUP LOOK

Some days you just think “damn life is good.” Today is one of those days. Boyfriend makes delicious almond meal muffins and jasmine green tea for you while you take photos... yeah I’m lucky to live this life. Onto the makeup: I’ve been browsing Pinterest the past few days and the thing that kept jumping out at me while I'll scrolled around was bold red lips. There’s something so beautiful and classic about about a good red lip. It made me want to put together a look that I find classically attractive - those red lips paired with a 60's cat eye. I find that when you’re wearing a statement on the lips and eyes keeping things ultra clean on the rest of your face is flattering. So I kept my focus in this look simply to lips, eyes, brows and contouring.
 
Brows: I always think brows look best when they’re a bit unkempt in appearance and that goes for this kind of a look especially. It’s nice to fill in any gaps, but try to keep things looking natural around the edges – no harsh borders for your eyebrows. Brushing your brows through with a clear or tinted brow gel can definitely help to create that model-esque fluffy brow.

Contour: contour can add an extra little something to a sharp look. It’s a more classic and sophisticated look than giving yourself an all over bronze. I always try to use an extremely light hand with contour. A tip that I picked up from Lisa Eldridge’s channel is not to bring your contour any further in than the outer corner of your eye. You can end up with a bit of an obvious stripe if you’re not careful. Cool tones work best for contour. If you’re a bit paler Nyx Taupe blush (affordable) or Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder (high end) are safe choices.

Eyes: mastering a cat eye is just plain hard. I still suck at it. Two tips I can give are 1) try a gel pot liner if you’re struggling a bit and 2) try doing a rough outline to get the shape first with a black powder eyeshadow. It’s easier to remove and fiddle with until you get it right. You can then go over your guide it with your gel liner. Estee did a nice demo of this in one of her Easy Winged Liner Tutorial. Oh and a bit of side note here, there are so many good drugstore gel liners out these days (Maybelline, Rimmel, L’oreal) that I don’t think it’s particularly worth going high end here. But to each their own.

Lips: the perfect red lip is such a matter of personal preference. I love a matte finish. I think it’s incredibly striking and it has great lasting power. I’m wearing Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl in this photo and I. Am. Obsessed. It is such a delicious colour. It’s a beautiful red with a hint of fuschia and it’s so very matte. Mmmm I wish I could eat it so that it could be a part of me.

That's about it. Like I said I kept the rest of my face clean and natural.

Product list: Tarte Amazonian Clay Airbrush Foundation (Fair Honey), Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Concealer (Ivory), Mac Studio Finish Concealer (NC20), Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Liner, L’oreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara, Sleek Brow Stylist (Light), Elf Essential Wet Gloss Lash & Brow Clear Mascara, Sleek Contour Kit (light), Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl. 


3 comments:

  1. You look stunning! I was so enamored by your picture when it popped up on my feed! So beautiful! Love that lip color! Super chic!

    Makeup revisited FOTD

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look absolutely beautiful! Red lipstick suits you very much! I really want to try some of the Nars VMLPs as all the shades look gorgeous! x

    http://victoriarosebeaute.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :)
    Yeah the Nars pencils are definitely hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete