7.09.2014

SUMMER ESSENTIALS

I think there are two things that people generally want out of their makeup come the hot and shvetty months of the year: for it to feel lightweight and for it to stay in place. With that in mind I’ve picked out a few things that help to keep things fresh.  

Concealer (& Fake Tan):
I once read a little tip in some magazine from some famous makeup artist (vague as can be, but my memory fails me) that to keep your face feeling “un-bunged” (it’s a word now) in the summertime it’s better to skip the foundation and just use fake tan and concealer. I remember being pretty pleased that someone with actual know-how agreed with my method. But smugness aside, it really does work for me. I find that the fake tan evens things out just a smidge. Any red patches don’t look quite so contrasted against a tan and then whatever is still looking blotchy after that can be addressed with concealer. Like always I use Mac’s Studio Finish Concealer. It’s as pigmented as they come, which is handy when you’re forgoing the foundation, and it doesn’t oxidize for me.

Tinted Moisturizer/BB Creams:
If you feel like the fake tan/concealer method isn’t doing it for you then it’s time for the tinted moisturizer/BB cream. I honestly don’t think there much of a difference between the two of them. It seems to me that BB creams are usually just tinted moisturizers with something like sunscreen added to the mix. I like the L’oreal Skin Beautifier BB Cream for oilier skins because it has a bit of powdery feeling finish – definitely not dewy. Dewy base products are nice when I first apply them, but they quickly turn into deep-fryer face for me in the summer months. I’m definitely curious to try Jouer’s Matte Moisture Tint.

Powder:
If you’ve got oily skin or you’re just finding yourself a little sweatier in the heat and you want your makeup to stick around on your face... powder my friends. I find powder to be way more effective than a primer or long wearing base products in increasing the overall longevity of my makeup. Like foundation, I find that too much powder in the summertime can feel gross. Putting it on with a small brush just where I need it helps me to avoid that problem. If I’ve got a blemishy area and I really want my concealer to stay in place then I’ll use a powder puff to press it into that specific area as I find that that method does a much better job of setting things down. I was using the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder for ages, but I’m not sure if I’m sold on the texture. I switched to Mac’s Blot Powder, but I’m still on the hunt for something better. Any suggestions?

Cream Eyeshadow:
I love cream eyeshadows any time of the year, but their glory is extra... glorious... in the summer. A good cream eyeshadow, like Maybelline’s Color Tattoos, will apply beautifully, set and then stick around like a mofo. Mofos do not like to leave once they’ve settled in. This mofo is in the shade Too Cool by the way.

Sheer Lipsticks:
This one might just be me, but sometimes I don’t like the feeling of wearing a traditional lipstick in the heat. I get paranoid that they’re going to smudge all over my face. Sheer lipsticks or tinted lip balms are nice because they’re not pigmented enough that if they smudge (while you’re stuffing your face with ice creams, no just me?) it will be particularly noticeable. They also wear off easily and provide a nice bit of moisturization for them food receptacles. I've got Revlon's Lip Butter in Juicy Papaya here.


White Nail Polish:
Finally, a little something that has nothing to do with longevity or that lightweight feeling – white nail polish. I had to include this when we’re talking about summer because white nail polish on tanned skin looks smashing. No doot aboot it. Canadian tourettes strike again!



5 comments:

  1. Juicy Papaya is my favourite this spring/summer! :D

    http://cups-and-roses.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. For some reason I just bought those lip butters for the first time ever (don't know why it took me so long) and man they feel nice.

      Delete
  2. I'm loving BB creams at the moment and find them to be a great base when going for a fresh faced summery look! Your photos are very pretty too, love them!

    http://thedesigndisciple.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with that magic BB cream! It sticks to my skin like glue!
    Allison from http://www.mercuteify.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have been really impressed. I find it gives just enough coverage (and I have quite an uneven tone) and it doesn't feel greasy. Good stuff.

      Delete