8.26.2014

GLOWING SKIN FOR OILY GALS


I think it’s fair to say that normal and dry skinned gals have the upper hand in creating beautiful glowing complexions. They can just slap on whatever dewy products they want, wherever they want, and it looks amazing. Meanwhile, us oily skin types have to worry about turning into an oil slick if we go overboard. But a lot of us still want to achieve that healthy, radiant complexion. I reckon it’s doable, it just takes a little bit more strategic planning to pull off. So I’ll walk you through my plan of action.

Start With A Radiant Primer

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this step for everyone. If you’re only a bit oily or you’re willing to double down on the blotting then radiant primer is a good start in achieving a glowing complexion. Personally, I like to skip moisturizing altogether and just stick with the primer. I figure since primer is designed to help things stay in place why not get a little boost of radiance out of it. That being said if you’re really oily you might prefer to go with a more classically oil absorbing primer (something with a slipping silicone base) and save your glow for later steps.

Skip The Luminous Foundation

I find that if I go for a really dewy foundation it’s just too much shine all over the face and I never stop feeling that “I’m wearing foundation” feeling. I prefer to opt for a lightweight more mattifying foundation and lightly powder my t-zone where I get most oily. Not powdering down the center of the face is another thing that normal/dry skin types can get away with that, unfortunately, isn’t usually as flattering on oily skin types. So rather than getting my glow from my foundation and leaving my skin un-powdered, I prefer to get it from the next step.

Place Your Highlighter Strategically
This is where the magic happens. I love cream highlighter because you get a two prong effect with it – you get a glow from the shimmer in the product and you get a glow from the fact that cream products don’t set. I see a lot of tutorials where girls take their highlighter on their forehead, chin and down the bridge of their nose. I would not recommend this if you have oily skin. Chances are you’re probably going to get shiny in those areas after a few hours naturally, so adding highlighter to them can be too much. Instead, I would stick to applying your highlighter just on the tops of your cheekbones, up onto your temples and on your cupid’s bow (areas that don’t tend to get as oily). And heck, why not throw a little inner corner of the eye and brow bone highlight in the mix. It’s always flattering and it gives an extra twinkle to the eye.

Use Bronzer to Amp Up The Glow
Don’t underestimate the power of bronzer. It’s a great way to give your skin a healthy glow without adding shimmer. Sweeping it across the high points of your face, rather than contouring with it, will make you look more naturally radiant. Using a luminous powder blush can also be a nice way to add pzaz without piling on more cream products.

Blotting Is Gonna Happen
Finally, if you’ve got oily skin and you’ve gone for the glow, I think it’s best to be prepared with some blotting papers. You can use the best setting powders and setting sprays, but they’re only ever going to *delay* the inevitable at best.

So be gone with you. Enjoy looking like you’re ready to hit a Victoria’s Secret catwalk, only I recommend wearing more clothes if you’re heading out in public. 


Products Used: Laura Mercier Radiance Bronze Foundation Primer, L’oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream, Maybelline Fit Me Concealer, Vichy Dermablend Corrective Cream Stick, Mac Blot Powder, Revlon Lip Butter in Creme Brulee, Bourjois Chocolate Bronzer, Milani Luminoso Blush, Jouer Highlighter in Champagne, Mac Nylon Eyeshadow, Sleek Brow Wiz, L’oreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara. 


15 comments:

  1. You have some amazing products, i love making my skin look dewy and glowy!

    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be trying these tips! I have very oily skin and nothing ever seems to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn you look amazing! So trying these tips, especially the bronzer one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post, and your skin looks incredible!

    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya! I'm nominating you for the Liebster Award! Details and all the jazz will be on my blog tomorrow!

    http://lexxiannespoonful.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always a struggle for us oily skinned gals to get a glowy look. These are some great tips! I'll have to keep them in mind. xx

    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to make it look good. I just resign myself to having to blot a whole bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed it is. I'll forever wish I had normal skin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah, your skin looks so gorgeous! Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely take note as I too am an oily t-zone sufferer but crave that healthy glow :)

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Holly! You look stunning, so beautiful! I have oily skin too, so I totally understand what you're talking about! My last step is always the Body Shop Vitamin E face mist, it brings the whole look together in a magical way! :)

    Diana P. | Cups & Roses

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep thinking I should try a good setting spray.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post - i'm an oily girl and for years I stayed WELL AWAY from highlighter. Recently I've lightly applied it to my cheekbones, cupids bow and inner corner of my eye and I love it! x

    lillies and lipbalm

    ReplyDelete