8.14.2014

TIME FOR SOME DRAAAMMMMAAAA

My everyday aesthetic tends to be light and natural to the point I often get people saying “yeah, but you don’t wear makeup do you?”  I love that healthy effortless look, but every once in a while it feels good to bring the drama. Amiright? And nothing says drama and glamour quite like a bit of sparkle and a red lip (and some contouring, highlighting and matching red nails while we’re at it). So what pickeroos have we here?

The sparkle:
I was having a poke around in Target the other day and I somehow found myself standing in front of the Sonia Kashuk stand. What? How did that happen? Weird. Anyways, I spotted the Showstoppers Eye Palette and my mind kicked into justification mode, rationalizing buying it with thoughts of glamorous Christmas party makeup and various tutorials that it would be useful in. Long story short, I caved. At any rate it’s a beautiful luxurious palette with 4 extremely glittery shades that certainly bring the drama. I think the bronze shade would go particularly well with a red lip. 

The red lip:
I have tried a fair few red lipsticks in my time, but I have to say that I think the Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red has to be the most beautiful, quintessential RED red. It’s a neutral, deep, rich colour and it manages have that luxurious matte, velvety texture without drying out your lips. It's so damned pigmented. Plus, added bonus – it’ll last all day.

The contour and highlight:
Contouring and highlight is pretty well a guaranteed way to amp a look up. The Sleek Contouring Kit (in light) has done me well on the rare occasions that I have decided to contour. It seems that it’s been a bit forgotten about in the beauty world since everyone fell in love with the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder (which to be fair is the perfect contour colour), but I still think it’s a great choice if you’re looking for a budget option.

The highlighter that comes in the Sleek kit is nice, but I tend to be more into cream and liquid highlighters. If you’re looking for a highlighter that’s intense, but doesn’t veer completely into disco glitterland, then I really recommend The Body Shop’s Lightening Touch in Universal Radiance. It’s an icy light colour, so it’ll give a kick in that respect, and it’s just a bit more sparkly than your Jemma Kidd or Jouer highlighter.

The nails:
Not everybody’s into matching nails and lips I know, but if you are... Barry M’s Gelly Nail Paint in Blood Orange. It’s shiny and long lasting and gosh darn it, it’s just nice! 


L-R: Sleek Contour Kit, Body Shop Lightening Touch, Sonia Kashuk Showstoppers, Sephora Always Red





18 comments:

  1. I love the Sleek Contour kit - always makes my make up look that bit more sultry. Those eyeshadows look gorgeous too - the colour payoff looks really great!
    The Graduate Goddess xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try the sleek contour kit, i've only just gotten into contouring and it sounds like a great product!

    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eyeshadow palette looks stunning! The bronze and black shade, wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of Always Red, such a pretty colour!


    ReplyDelete
  5. That palette looks stunning! I remember when the Sleek contour kit was all the rage. I definitely love adding some 'drama' to my makeup when it's the weekend.

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh it's so nice. So matte and so perfectly red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I think going for neutral on a regular basis makes it that much more fun when you do go bold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the first thing I've bought from Sonia Kashuk and I'm really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was always afraid of wearing a red lip but I purchased MAC Ruby Woo earlier in the year and absolutely love it! xx

    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang those shadows are glittery! But so gorg! I'm the same, on an everyday basis I go for very minimal makeup (though I actually use quite a few products haha). Generally people don't think I wear makeup! I do love getting dressed up though, particularly with a bold lip and winged liner :)

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm I've been lusting over Ruby Woo lately. It looks so matte. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not gonna lie, definitely picked the shot where they looked most glittery. And hells yes to the winged liner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to get the Sephora lip stain, I keep hearing so many people talking about it. And those eyeshadows are gorgeous!


    xx Sierra
    lovelygatekeeper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. that glitter has me seriously excited looooove some good glitter/shimmer
    Allison from www.mercuteify.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's kind of amazing what makeup can do these days. The lip creams that have been coming out (Sleek, Sephora, Bourjois, Hourglass, etc) are pretty phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such gorgeous picks! I feel like I now need all of them in my life...


    charlotte x
    www.charlottesweb8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I own the Sleek Contouring powder and I really like it! Although I am just able to order it online, it's too bad we don't have a Sleek in the states!


    xx
    www.porcelainshree.com

    ReplyDelete