9.09.2014

DRY SHAMPOO FOR YOU

I can't stand the feeling of my hair getting greasy, but I still only wash it every other day because the last thing I want is to stimulate any more oil production. Dry shampoo is a Godsend for those of us stuck in this dilemma. It does a good job absorbing oil and preventing that "I just rolled out of the 90's" stringy hair look while you're waiting for a wash. As my sister is a hair stylist, I've been lucky enough to try a fair few dry shampoos over time and I think these two that I've got picked out today are among the most impressive for a few different reasons.

Dove Refresh and Care Dry Shampoo
This dry shampoo seems to either be a love or a hate for people, but I'll run you through why I think it's worth while. The product almost reminds me of hybrid of a dry shampoo and one of those back-combing powders that were popular about a year ago (like the Osis Dust It Powder). It means that it feels a bit heavier in the hair, but you can get a lovely textured, tousled effect with it. It also does a great job absorbing oil. There are two potential downsides though. The first being that it can leave a slight white residue if you're not careful to work it into your hair and the second being that the smell isn't for everyone. It could be seen as a bit old lady floral. But overall I'm really impressed with the effect it gives and for under $5.00... well I'm not complaining about that.

Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Two Day Extender
Hell of a name, but hell of a product. There is nothing about this dry shampoo that I can see someone disliking, except maybe the price. It feels weightless, but does a great job absorbing oil at the same time. It doesn't leave any ashy coloration in your hair and best of all it's lightly peppermint scented. I just think that's amazing. If you're feeling kind of gross and groggy and you want something to make you feel refreshed and clean, peppermint is the perfect thing. The price of this product seems to vary greatly depending on where you purchase it. It's on the Ulta website for $8.50 (count yourself incredibly lucky if you live in the States), but you're looking at closer to £10.00 if you're from the UK. As for us Canadians, I would recommend trying to find it at a beauty supply store, rather than a salon if you're looking for a good price.


So which one of these dry shampoos is for you? I'd say if you're looking for a one that's going to give you some texture or aid in back-combing then head for Dove's option. Whereas if you want something simply for absorbing oil and freshening things up then it's Redken all the way. What's the best dry shampoo you guys have tried? I'm curious to see if there's something that combines the magic of both of these.


11 comments:

  1. I have always avoided dry shampoo because I just never got along with it. I have heard incredible things about the Dove offering though and I'm always tempted to pick it up when I see it in stores on sale but I still haven't done it yet. Maybe soon. Maybe... xx

    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I'm intrigued. I think my favourite yet has been the J Beverly Hills platinum dry shampoo, though unfortunately my sis-in-laws salon stopped carrying their line and there's NO WAY I'm paying full price for that. I think it's around $40. I will check out that Redken one you suggested when I go to get my hair cut next week. I currently use B&B's Dry Spun, but I'm not sure it absorbs enough oil (or any haha) for me...though it is nice for adding some texture! Okay, novel over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the Bumble & Bumble White Hair Powder for a while (sister lent it to me) and that was pretty nice I remember, but oh my god I just checked the price and it's $50. Criminal. I hope you like the Redken one if you try it. I'd hate to disappoint with my recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used dry shampoo and I've seen reviews of them all over, so now I'm curious. In winter time, I wash my hair every other two days and sure, the last day it looks horrible.

    Does it matter what type of hair you have? (Thin, greasy, mixed?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great for greasy hair, but it's also good for fluffing up thin hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT!? Is that the pret-a-powder? I can't believe it's that much for that little bottle! I'll have to check when I go in. Yikes. And I'll let you know if I end up picking up that Redken or not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ever used Batiste dry shampoo, or actually also well-rubbed-in baby powder. I may have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha yeah I've done that before too, but I'm not a huge fan of the smell of baby powder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not the pret-a-powder. It's just their generic dry shampoo that's been out for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish they carried the Dove dry shampoo in Australia! Everyone is raving about it and I'm still on the hunt for a decent dry shampoo. The Redken one sounds promising; I must try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the heads up! I'll be on the look out for the Redken Two Day Extender.
    xo, Connie
    www.connnietang.com

    ReplyDelete