12.14.2014

HOLIDAY MAKEUP PICKS


It's less than two weeks until Christmas. I intend to pack in all the holiday makeup I can before then, without veering into full blown drag queen territory (not that there isn't some fun in that). After the holiday season is over I sort of run out of excuses for attempting to look glamorous while working at a health food store. There's really not much point when most of us are just thinking about which pants are least likely to expose your bum while you're lifting boxes. At any rate, here's some of what I plan to be sporting before returning to my usual casual self.

Eyes:
Sonia Kashuk Quad in Showstoppers
I've seen loads of people making good use of the glitter shade in their Tom Ford and Charlotte Tilbury palettes. They are undeniably gorgeous, but of course a premium product comes at a premium price. This Sonia Kashuk Quad in Showstoppers is an excellent budget version. The four glitter shades are all beautiful colours and have that dreamy wet look effect to them.

Sonia Kashuk Showstoppers


Maybelline Color Tattoo in Too Cool
If ever there's a time that a frosty white shadow is appropriate, it's now. Maybelline's Too Cool is perfect as it's a nice silver, wintery white that makes me think of fresh fallen snow. As it is quite a frosty shade, I'd keep the rest of the look quite simple and chic – something like this.

NYX Aqua Luxe Liner in 24 Karat
I think this has to be the most festive pick out of the whole lot. It's unashamedly gold and sparkly and it screams Christmas. It's especially lovely in dim light where the glitter stands out best. I wish I could have portrayed that in my Christmas Party Look.

Face:
The Body Shop Lightening Touch in Universal Radiance
If you've got an evening event to go to and you want a highlighter that packs a punch, may I suggest the Body Shop's Universal Radiance? Why yes I think I will. It's a cool toned, pale highlighter that will really amp up your cheekbones. It's a bit more glittery than I would normally go for in a highlighter so it's less of a daytime product, but like I said, for evenings... it'll get the job done.

Lips:
Revlon Moisture Stain in Barcelona Nights
I just recently had a rediscovery with this stain, which you might remember from my Forgotten Gems post. The balmy texture feels wonderful on dry winter lips and the formula is impressively pigmented. This particular shade, Barcelona Nights, makes for a really fun, vibrant holiday colour.

Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red
This is the quintessential holiday red lip in my mind. It's matte and bold as they come. The formula is extremely long wearing and comfortable on the lips. Like the NYX liner, I wore this in my Christmas Party Look if you want to take a look.

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl
I think this has to be my favourite red lip that I own. There's a bit of magenta in the mix, rather than being a true red. The colour, paired with how matte the formula is makes it look really striking. I'm wearing it in my Classic Makeup Look. Unfortunately it's a tough one to photograph, as the magenta in it often doesn't show up enough.

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Damned
Not feeling the reds? Nars Damned is another great holiday colour. I think it makes a good pick for a lot of people because you get that rich plummy colour, but without it being too intimidatingly dark.

What wonderful Christmas shades do you guys go for at Christmas? Who goes for glitter and who goes for the red lips?

15 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by that Body Shop highlighter! I don't own any of their beauty products, but I have been meaning to pick up their infamous bronzer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sonia Kashuk quad definitely seems like a good substitute for those more expensive glittery shades! Perfect for a pop of glitter on the lid. Love the look of the eyeliner too! I have the nudey/champagne one but rarely use it :S

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that Sonia Kashuk palette looks so pretty! Love the colours you've tested out, absolutely perfect for this time of year!

    Tessa / Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you could get Sonia Kashuk where I live, all of their shadows look incredible! For Christmas I usually go gold and shimmery on the eyes!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised you don't already own the bronzer being an Essiebutton fan! It's really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never noticed the nude shade before! It looks so nice (googled swatches). It was also make a great Christmas liner for next year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We recently got Target here and I was so excited to see the Sonia Kashuk stuff. Though every time I go the stand has been picked to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could use some Mac Fix Plus though to get 'em on the lids real good. They are so pretty though. I love when glitter gives that wet look to the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also I've got a swatch of the highlighter here.
    http://www.bloominrouge.com/2014/08/time-for-some-draaammmmaaaa.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may be surprised to know that I don't ALWAYS fall for blogger hype hahaha :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been eyeing Dragon Girl for some time now. It really suits you!!

    Tweezers and Tongs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to buy color tattoo :)

    I'm running a "Christmas" giveaway (lorac pro pallet+ the wet brush), if you're interested, check this link:

    little taste of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  13. That made it look like I was talking about your joke. Oh no, I was talking about my *fall* joke not being a joke. Haha the trouble with kidding around on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the swatch on your ring finger is like, whoaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shimmer and red is always soooo festive!

    http://tastyrumors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete