12.12.2014

MARVELOUS NETFLIX TV PICKS


I'm a big Netflix fan. Likely most of us are here. I think it's important to support fair business models like that – ones that provide an excellent service at a reasonable price. I recently signed up for Google Play Music for that same reason. Anywho, I've done my fair share of binge watching on Netflix and I feel it has come time to share my wisdom... my glorious coach potato wisdom. I've got a few shows up my sleeve that I really enjoyed watching while I shoved nutritional yeast covered popcorn into my mouth. I think there's got to be at least one in this list that you haven't seen!

The Killing
This is one addictive murder mystery. Filmed in Seattle and Vancouver, it's a gritty show that follows an interesting partnership of cops. Both main characters and flawed and at times frustrating to watch, but oddly identifiable. The dynamic between the two is what makes the show so worth while. Some pretty heavy subject matter is dealt with over the seasons. One season in particular focuses on the cereal murder of street workers, which was particularly chilling as it was filmed in the location of the real life Robert Pickton case.

Derek
I don't think Derek is all too popular on Netflix, but it was so worth watching. It's a mockumentary that follows a sort of sweet, simple fellow (played by Ricky Gervais) who thinks he's won the lottery by working in nursing home. In some ways it's hard to believe it's Ricky Gervais' work seeing as I spent just as much time crying as I did laughing. It's one of the most touching shows I've ever seen. I think I'm about due for a second watch through.

Mixology
Mixology is the best laugh I've had watching Netflix in a good, long while. If you were a How I Met Your Mother Fan (at least maybe for the first few seasons) I have a feeling you'll enjoy this. One of the characters is very Barney Stinson-esque. There's only one season, but the whole season (13 episodes) follows a group of strangers interacting in a bar over the course of one night. It's a completely ridiculous bit of fun that I loved from the first minute I turned it on.

The IT Crowd
Nerd alert. This show is about a couple of socially inept IT guys, working under the supervision of a tech-illiterate female manager. It's a pretty cheesy, low budget, silly show, but you can't help loving the characters in it, especially Moss (played by Richard Ayoade). It's also pretty fun to watch Chris O'Dowd before he became the Hollywood star that he is today. Yeah I've got a bit of thing for nerds.

Undeclared
There are a lot faces that you will recognize in this show about College Life, including Seth Rogen, Jason Segel and Jay Baruchel. When I first turned this on I thought maybe I'd stumbled into hipsterville, what with its dated 90's feel. Luckily as I kept watching I realized it's actually a hilarious show. It's a lot funnier than Freaks and Geeks in my mind. I was really bummed to discover that it was cancelled after only one season.

Happy Endings
Unfortunately Happy Endings is only on the Canadian Netflix and not the American, which is a rarity. If you are a fellow Canadian, give it a go! It's another show about a group of friends getting into crazy shenanigans, but it is so dang fun! If you're a New Girl fan... this is where Coach was all that time, only he was better as Brad.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Okay yeah, fair enough. You've probably already seen Buffy, but darn it, watch it again! This is the 90's at its finest. Joss Whedon just knows how its done. How could you say no to Giles and the gang? In case somehow you haven't been Buffy and you don't know what it's about... vampire slayer goes around sassily slaying vampires and demons with her delightfully hilarious and peculiar group of friends. It was the 90's man. That's how we rolled back then.

24 comments:

  1. Really need to get myself on Netflix! I have so many programmes I want to get into.


    styleaked.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all awesome suggestions! I had the biggest crush on Spike when I first watched Buffy. Now I'm all about Giles. :P

    xo, Rachel
    babblingloon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and my friend just finished watching the second season of The Killing and I have to say it's freaking good! So intense and relatable. The only problem is.. I am afraid to watch the third season. Is it going to be as good as first and second one? I don't want to ruin my impression :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only one of these I've seen is The Killing, and I agree, it's a good one. I like House of Cards, and Chuck, which was a favourite of mine when it was on air, is on Netflix in its entirety now which is fun. Also Call the Midwife is really good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think The IT Crowd may be my fave sitcom... tied with AD. Moss can say literally anything. And I will imagine my life married to him. And I have no shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Happy Endings, I don't know how it only got a few viewers.


    I have to check the others out, Derek and The Killing sound especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to get into Buffy as I was too young to watch it when it was still on T.V.! I definitely need to give it a go.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's some great choices here! The IT Crowd is seriously one of the funniest shows ever, and I totally agree on rewatching Buffy!

    Tessa / Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yessss. Buffy fans unite! I will literally never tire of watching Buffy. At least the seasons before it got super depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. I would have included Silicon Valley if it were on Netflix because that show is SO good! I don't know many people that watch that either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should! It's so amazingly 90's in a good way. Joss Whedon is always so good... Firefly, Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, The Avengers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHA. I know. I'm confused about whether I want to marry Moss or mother him. He's just so lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah I totally forgot about Chuck! I loved Chuck so much. I still really need to watch House of Cards and I've also heard great things about Call The Midwife. You're reminding me of so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, the third season is so good. Totally different direction, but so, so good. And I don't want to give anything away, but there's an amazing actor in season 3 too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha yessss. Totally with you. When I first watched Buffy it was all about Spike, but now that I'm older and I watch it, Giles is the best part of that show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's just the best service for $8/month. I sound like an ad for them, but it really is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never seen Buffy!! What's wrong with me?! Might have to spend the day in the couch catching up on what seems to be a very popular show ;) The IT crowd I absolutely LOVE!!! Great choices, hadn't heard about some of them before so will be checking them out :) xx
    www.willowjolie.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I discovered Silicon Valley about two months ago and watched 8 episodes in one go! It's so good and I love the nerdy/smart guys !!! :D


    www.willowjolie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. ok, I am totally intrigued now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved this post, its just what I needed as Im currently searching for a new series to watch!

    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha brown lipliner filled in with gold/brown lipstick? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Always had a thing for geeky/nerdy men ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked the original The Killing :) It's from Denmark I think but I got it on YT with english subtitles. I started the American version, but I'm not as much into it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahhh I miss so many of these shows, lol.

    ReplyDelete