1.01.2015

BEST OF THE BOLD MATTES


I love a good bold matte lip. I just think if you're going for a striking colour it usually looks that much more striking when it's matte. Granted I may not get as much use out of a these lipsticks as my everyday neutrals, but they're the ones that make me feel like “f*** you, I'm an anteater!” You're really going to have to look at the link for that one to make sense.

Barry M Lip Paint in Peachy Pink
This is probably the most unusual pick of the bunch. It may not seem like the most bold colour at first glance, but the effect it gives really pops. The texture is very matte and almost chalky, which might horrify some people, but it gives an amazing retro vibe that I love. It looks like it came straight out of the 60's. See it on here.

Rimmel Matte Lipstick in 109
I love this colour because I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. It's kind of a rusty, orangey, toned down red colour. It's great if you want to throw on something chic, but you don't want it to look as try hard as a classic red. The formula of this one is probably the least matte of the bunch. See it on here.

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl
I first saw this on my friend Emma and I don't think I've ever been so drawn to a lipstick before. It's so, so matte and long lasting and the colour... ah, the colour is perfection to me. It hits somewhere in between a blue based red and a magenta. It's something special. See it on here.

L-R: Barry M Peachy Pink, Rimmel 109, Nars Dragon Girl, Mac Flat Out Fabulous, Wet'n'Wild Cherry Bomb, Bourjois Pink Pong




Mac Lipstick in Flat Out Fabulous
This lipstick is great to me because it's quite a bold, intense pink/purple colour, but it doesn't register barbie at all. I think it's because it's just deep and plummy enough to steer clear of that. The formula is a retro matte, which means it has quite a dry texture that lasts all day. See it on here.

Wet 'n' Wild Mega Last Matte Lip Cover in Cherry Bomb
Once this is on the lips, you'd never know that this is a $2.00 lipstick. The colour is beautifully deep and rich and the formula is matte, but not too drying. It's such a good choice for a vampy lip. See it on here.

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Lipstick in Pink Pong
This one looks quite similar to Mac's Flat Out Fabulous, but there are some key differences. First, the colour is a bit brighter and more vibrant. It's more of a true pink. Secondly, the formula is completely different. Mac's option feels like a typical lipstick on the lips, whereas Bourjois' option feels completely weightless and velvety. It's a breeze to apply. See it on here.

39 comments:

  1. I adore the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl. It's such a fantastic shade and the formula is great. I picked up Train Bleu recently for a nice vampy option and it's just as good. xx

    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the Wet'n'Wild Cherry Bomb and think that I will definitley add it to my list of things to try for 2015! I have done a post about what I got for Christmas so would you mind checking it out as I mention quite a few lip products!

    http://whatmaisiedid.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flat Out Fabulous looks stunning, it's been on my wishlist for a while now!

    Alice x
    Sheer Beautiful l Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look amazing! I need to get Flat Out Fabulous, it looks gorgeous!

    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of the Wet and Wild Lipsticks, that just shows just because one person doesn't like a product it doesn't mean it's bad.! The Barry M and Nars lippies look gorgeous!!


    www.withinjayslife.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nars do amazing shades of lip products, but I am currently in love with my MAC Diva lipstick x


    pintsizedbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look beautiful! Need x
    http://www.trudyjohanna.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Nars' Dragon girl- such a stunning colour!
    Lovely post xx

    rosyannajane.blogspot.co.uk // www.bloglovin.com/annatranter

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Nars pencil is seriously one of my all-time favourite beauty products, it's such a gorgeous colour!

    Tessa / Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I own both Flat Out Fabulous and Pink Pong and I love them both - matte formulas are just the best when it comes to a bold lip! :) I'd really like to try out one of the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencils soon - everybody always raves about them!

    TanjaWhatsername x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh need to pick up the Cherry Bomb, Black Orchid is another lovely Wet-n-Wild shade. Love experimenting with shades from the line because if they don't work out, then you're only out a couple bucks! I need to channel a little more anteater in my life this year when it comes to stepping out with a bold lip....cause wearing them around the house in my sweats is wierding my boyfriend out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All so gorg. Whenever I go bold - I definitely go matte (or try to). The formula is just so much more reliable! I love the look of Barry M Peachy pink though I'm not sure it would suit me. Sometimes shades like that that are too pale/white based can really clash! Rimmel 109 looks amazing too, but I don't think the brought that shade here :(

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Train Bleu is the one I'd like to get next! It looks so deep and amazing. I know it will be hard to find an excuse to wear it... but I want it anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the retro matte finishes. They look so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know, it's funny that. Sometimes products are downright bad and sometimes it's just a matter of personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely. Nars just does the best shades, especially for bolds. I love the look of Mac Diva too. I eye it up in MAC quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The NARS ones feel totally different to the Mac retro mattes too. They're so dry and quite lightweight to apply. I don't even know how to describe it. But they feel awesome and the finish is so good on them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely lovely picks! Hate that we don't get Barry M here in the USA. Such a shame. Happy new year Holly! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's absolutely ridiculous that a Revlon or Loreal lipstick is the same price, if not more expensive, than like Illamasqua or Bare minerals!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know! I think I must have got it off of Asos back in the day or something. But I noticed Urban Outfitters online carries some Barry M now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah that kills me. The whole point of drugstore makeup is that it's affordable! I suppose you just have to buy everything online if you want to get it for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i really tend to stick to different shades of red and don't do pinks or nudes very much, but regardless of colour these are some great colours! i don't get much wear out of pinky-reds like dragon girl but i have picked up cruella and red square from the NARS line and i seriously love them. they are such perfect shades. those rimmel kate moss matte lipsticks are a classic, and of course who can go past MAC's matte lipsticks? i do find them drying but they have such great colours they're worth the extra effort.

    jessica - littlehenrylee.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Flat out Fabulous is... fabulous! Haha and Cherry Bomb looks lovely too. I've really been loving the dark bold colours :)

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the shade of Pink Pong. It's gorgeous.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh when I went to Australia and had to buy ( read "had to" with a pinch of salt) and opted for L'oreal.... 24 dollars - I couldn't believe it !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been toying with the idea of getting Dragon Girl for a while! In the Spanish Blogging community it go SO hyped that it's very frequently out of stock on shops and websites around there, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the look of cherry bomb!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can't even say which I like the most!!!

    http://tastyrumors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome post! I love a bold lipstick. You should try out Revlon's Black Cherry if you like Cherry Bomb!


    bloussey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I adore the look of the Dragon Girl lip pencil on you. I don't know if it would suit my skin tone but I would love to try it because the colour is just fab! Such a striking look.

    http://technicolourdreamer.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cant wait to try some Nars products this year, with the velvet matte lip pencils at the top of my list! Great post :)

    styleaked - Rayban giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  32. Everything is ravishing! Such a good post and wonderful photography. Also - I am in love with that flamingo print in the background!!

    Ilia from Ilia's Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  33. Crazy, though actually I can totally imagine that being a Spanish thing. It would look amazing on that beautiful olive skin.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haha I'm pretty sure I cracked that exact same joke in one of my posts. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yup, I can definitely imagine you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Uh God, sometimes I write things and then a few seconds later I think "did that sound incredibly creepy?"

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is she.
    https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5556019/il_fullxfull.183798327.jpg

    ReplyDelete