3.24.2015

10 MAKEUP TIPS: ROUND 3


I've spent the past few years trying to be a sponge for makeup knowledge. I've watched so many Youtube tutorials (Lisa Eldridge, Tanya Burr, the Pixiwoo gals, Chloe Morello, Sharon Farrell, etc.), read so many blog posts and attended makeup school. I just love learning about this stuff and I think it's always nice to pass on one's findings. This is the third installment of this series... I suppose it's a series now. You're welcome to check out the first two posts – 10 Thing I've Learned About Makeup and 10 More Makeup Tips. For now, here's what I've got!

1. When applying blusher, try adding a bit over the bridge of your nose. It can help to add more colour to the face and create a more cohesive look. It can also make you look more sunkissed depending on the shade.

2. Adding a light smattering of fake freckles to the nose and cheekbones is a sneaky way of making the skin look more fresh and natural. It's particularly effective if you've used a high coverage foundation because it gives the illusion that your base is much sheerer. I've got a video on How To Fake Freckles if you're feeling unsure about it.

3. Natural hair brushes tend to work best with powder products, as they pick up and blend the product better. Whereas synthetic hair brushes tend to work better with creams, as they're hardier and don't absorb so much product.

4. It's important to let there be gaps in your brows when you're filling them in. It can be tempting to fill everything in, but it doesn't look realistic. Natural brows have patches of skin showing through. Try instead only adding product to the areas that really need some more “structural integrity.”

5. Waterproof mascara will hold a curl better than non-waterproof formulas.

6. If you're using a good highly pigmented cream concealer and you're still struggling to get enough coverage when concealing blemishes, try sandwiching your concealer. By that I mean apply your first layer of concealer, carefully pat powder on top, then come back in with another layer of concealer. The powder should help lock in the first layer of concealer so you can add more without disturbing anything.

7. If you've got oily skin, let your moisturizer sink in for a good 20 minutes or so before applying foundation. It will help to ensure the foundation doesn't slip around during the day. On the flip side, if you've got dry skin you may want to apply moisturizer immediately before applying foundation to help the foundation blend more smoothly and avoid sticking to dry patches.

8. Cool toned lipsticks will make you teeth look whiter. You might favour MAC Russian Red over Lady Danger for this reason.

9. If you're using an under eye concealer that's a few shades lighter than your natural skin tone, it helps to apply it in a V shape under the eyes. You don't have to do the full Kim Kardashain look by any means, but just bring it down a little bit further than the natural contours of your under eyes. That way it blends into the face better and you can avoid an obvious ring of concealer.

10. If you're using powder blush or bronzer (this tip doesn't apply to cream formulas), try adding a light dusting of powder to the areas you're going to be working on first. You'll be able to blend your products more easily and avoid any blotchy patches.

28 comments:

  1. Nice round of tips! I find most of these a lot of us do instinctively but it's always nice to remember why! I especially did a double take with the moisturiser... I apply moisturiser before having breakfast and make up after and it does help a lot with my foundation! Loved the post :)

    x Julia | Wing Me a Dream

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips on the brows - leaving some areas untouched. So important to use short, light strokes when filling them in!

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about adding powder before you add powder blush and bronzer, I've noticed such a difference!

    xx Alyson
    The Beauty Vanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tips so much, they are all so good!

    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea! These are all really good tips :)


    Xo,
    Emily | EMBUR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy reading your tips! I'll definitely have to give some of them a try, especially the blush tip! xx

    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I so want to fake freckles now, if only I suited them!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  8. These tips are really useful, I especially like the tip about eyebrows, I think you can make them like nice and natural with minimal effort.


    Emma | ohflowerchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have really oily skin so I'll definitely be trying out #7 tomorrow! Thanks for the tips.


    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips! I've started to add a tiny bit of blusher on the bridge of my nose and I really love it!

    Sophie x | SophiesMakeupBlog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these tips! I really want to try out the fake freckle look, yours look so natural!

    Tessa at Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I mentioned this in one of my last tip posts, but I swear by a dry cream concealer and a tiny detailer brush. It's the best combo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Tessa. I am weirdly obsessed with freckles. They just epitomize that "natural beauty" thing to me. Alas, if only I had real ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's hard to describe what it does. I struggled to find the words, but it just adds a really nice effect somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also, switching to gel moisturizer during the day was another thing that helped for my oily skin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! Often times the less you do, the better they'll look (same goes for plucking!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dude, I'm looking at your face in your profile picture, and I'm pretty sure you'd suit anything haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome. I'm quite keen on the blush one myself, especially when my skin is so insanely pale.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Maddy. You're vair sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally. I can't stand it when one bits sticks to the foundation and goes way darker than the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amen. Short, light strokes all the way. When I see people outline their entire brow in one go... ah, it's hard for me to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really have to force myself to remember about the moisturizer thing. I usually come out of the shower, wash my face and go straight for the makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The brow tip is key to getting that natural look, to the point where they actually look like they're your brows! I also think keeping the front of them quite sparse looking helps a lot as well.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a good point. Keeping them sparse in the front is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had never heard of the concealer sandwich until now! Will definitely try that :)

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  26. Incredibly useful. You really know what you doing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your tip has definitely helped! I use a gel moisturizer but then follow it with an oil-free SPF but it makes me a bit shiny. It's ok though, I rather blot than have a sunburn. lol

    ReplyDelete