3.18.2015

DANIELLE'S MAKEOVER


A few months ago my friend Danielle came to me with a proposition. She suggested that I take her makeup shopping and then do a mini makeover on her for the blog. It seemed like a pretty fantastic idea to me, so we headed off to MAC and Sephora and showered the sales assistants in dollar dollar bills yall. Just kidding, but products were purchased. Yesterday we finally got around to doing the makeover portion of this endeavor and it was good fun. As per usual, I'll run you through what we did.



Skin
Dan has beautiful skin so she certainly didn't need any heavy foundation. A bit of Diorskin Nude BB Cream covered any light redness nicely and left her skin looking still quite fresh. I wanted to focus on bringing a lot of light under her eyes, so I took a couple of light reflective concealers, lighter than her natural skin tone, in a V shape under the eyes. The V shape helps to brighten up the center panel of the face. I then set with some translucent setting powder, did a little contouring (the detail of which is completely lost in the photo) and highlighted the tops of her cheekbones. To keep things dewy and fresh, the finishing touch was a soft dusky pink cream blush.

Eyes
The eyes are where we had the most fun. Dan had never worn a winged liner before and I thought it'd be mighty flattering on her. Using a gel liner, I kept the wing to the outer half of the eye. This creates the most drawn out effect possible. I then popped a light, shimmery colour on the inner corner and a medium toned matte shade on the outer third of the lid to open up the eyes and amplify the drawn out effect even more. I also added a few individual lashes on the outer third and then Danielle layered on the mascara.

Brows
Doing Danielle's brows had a dramatic effect. She has very light brows naturally, so filling them in helped to add structure (a kind of grounding point) to the face. I used a powder to go through the bulk of the brows and a pencil to add in more texture. It's worth noting that when I filled in the front of her brows I lifted them up slightly. I find that bringing the front of the brow up can noticeably open up the whole face.

Lips
Dan has a slight bow shape to her upper lip, which I love. It's very flapper girl-esque. However, for poops and giggles I decided to slightly overdraw it. I used a deep pinky, brown shade of lip liner and softened the edges with a q-tip. For lipstick we finished up with MAC Peach Blossom – a nice, easy to wear, pink/nude shade.

Hair
I'm no hairdresser so I kept it simple. I ran a straightener through the lengths of Danielle's hair. To add volume, I sprayed some dry shampoo and hairspray into the roots and did a little backcombing. I then clipped back part of her hair to, again, keep her face nice and open. Simple.




That was that. A huge thanks to Danielle for suggesting this idea and lending me her beautiful face!

Product list: Diorskin Nude BB Cream, MAC Prep and Primer Highlighter in Light Boost, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, Tarte Smooth Operator Setting Powder, Sleek Contour Kit in Light, MAC Cream Colour Base in Pearl, Stila Convertible Colour in Lilium, Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette (shades: Strange, Dust and Limit), L'oreal Gel Liner, MAC Carbon and Nylon Eyeshadow, L'oreal Telescopic Mascara, MAC Omega Eyeshadow, Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Brown, L'oreal Lip Liner in Au Naturale, MAC Peach Blossom.

18 comments:

  1. Wohooo, genius! Love love love it :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eyeliner looks stunning on her! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so pretty! I love how subtly you did the brows yet it makes a big difference.

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done! I love that you really just accentuated Dan's natural beauty…and what a beauty she is! The winged liner suits her perfectly :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks so pretty! With or without make up but the make up really does help accentuating her beauty. Her skin looks super fresh and that eyeliner is gorgeous! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks stunning before and after but I love how you have done her makeup!

    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks stunning without any makeup, but I adore what you've done!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Chaitra. I had a good time with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think she suits the winged liner so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely. Even a little bit makes a lot of difference with brows I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehe both Dan and I commented on how awesome it is that you called her Dan as well! We did a red lip after too and I wish I'd gotten a shot. It looked really good on her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Maddy! That smile at the end says how beautious she really is with or without makeup. Cheesy, but true. She's an awesome person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! I hope she's reading these comments :)
    ...Dan?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post ! :) Beautiful smile :) xxx


    Scandinavian Beauty Blog - www.willowjolie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post! She looks beautiful before and after. The winged eyeliner really suits her too! Would love to see similar kind of posts in the future as it was a fun idea! :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha, you know me, always gettin' way too familiar ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dan looks beautiful, and the wing liner was a good call! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice makeover! Dan looks amazing with dem wings. :) Love the lip colour as well!

    ReplyDelete