12.13.2015

NEW ADDITIONS TO THE SKINCARE TEAM


My skincare routine has changed quite a bit since the last time I talked about it. I feel as though I've managed to find a good balance for my oily, yet winter-weathered skin. I've completely given up all benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid and taken a new approach.

The first thing that I should mention is that a few months ago I was prescribed topical antibiotics. I use those in the morning, and while I still have some break outs, my skin has generally responded quite well to them. Because a lot of my spots are caused by mild rosacea, antibiotics are one of the few options I have for treating without further aggravating the issue. I've then added three new products to the roster!

Ren Clear Calm Clarifying Clay Cleanser
I love this stuff! I avoided this cleanser for years, thinking it would be a drying formula, what with the word clay proudly displayed in the title. Well, once again, I was wrong. The product is so creamy, rich and moisturizing, that the clay doesn't have a chance to dry out your skin. It simply acts as a mini detox. The formula is almost like a slightly souped up version of the Evercalm Cleanser. Wonderful stuff. The only thing to note is that it's not one to remove makeup with, so I reserve it exclusively for the mornings.

Paula's Choice Triple Action Dark Spot Eraser
I confess I'm a picker. It's terrible and I hate it about myself, but when I get stressed I want to pick at my skin. The trouble is that my skin doesn't heal well. I'm left with purple hyperpigmentation marks simply from having a spot and it's much, much worse if I've picked at it. The discolouration can easily last for up to six months. So I decided to order the Paula's Choice Triple Action Dark Spot Eraser to help speed up the healing process. It contains hydroquinone, which is probably the most powerful skin lightening ingredient on the market (and incidentally is not available in Canadian stores). Typically hydroqinone is used on brown age spots, but I'm hoping it'll do the trick on old acne spots nonetheless. It's fairly new to my collection, so I'll have to update you on how effective I find it.

Sunday Riley Luna Sleep Night Oil
I never thought this product would make it into my skincare routine, mostly due to insane price tag. Hooowwevveerr, I found a bit of a “loophole.” The Sephora Favourites Beauty Sleep Collection costs a grand total of $36 Canadian. It contains four mini sized night treatments, including the Sunday Riley Luna Oil. I was pretty sceptical about this oil. I figured people were probably going so nuts for it because it was their first experience with a retinol. But, having used a number of different retinol treatments, I've got to admit, this is something special. I could absolutely be jumping the gun, as I've only been using it for about a week, but wow. I pop a few drops on at night, head to bed and wake up with such balanced feeling skin. My skin feels less oily, more soft and supple and I haven't had any fresh breakouts this week. I'm scared of when I have to purchase a full sized bottle. Well, here's to hoping I continue to see such great results!

No comments:

Post a Comment