9.07.2016

BIG OL' HIGH END FOUNDATION REVIEW


I have obtained a rather large number of high end foundations in the last few months. This works quite well for me as, like many of you I'm sure, I love testing out new foundations. There's something immensely satisfying about the search for the perfect foundation. Finding the one foundation to rule them all, the one foundation to find them, the one foundation to bring them all and in the darkness bind them... yeah, that foundation. So anyways, I've tried out a lot of foundations and I wanted to give you a summary of my thoughts.

NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer
Love of my life. I've talked about this 100 times. This was favourite base of 2015 and I can't see that changing in the last few months of 2016. It's a light coverage base (still, more than most tinted moisturizers), with a beautiful dewy, second skin finish. The glow that your skin gives off doesn't come from any shimmer particles in the base, but rather the lovely, hydrating texture. It definitely gets shiny on my oily t-zone, but with a bit of powder and a few blots throughout the day, I still love the finish. It also fades well throughout the day, which I really struggle with when it comes to foundation. Full review here.

My shade: Alaska
MAC terms: NC25
Coverage: light
Finish: dewy
Thumbs up or down: huge up

NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint
I did a full review on this recently, but I guess I would summarize this foundation as good, not great. You get a surprising amount of coverage for a “skin tint” and it has a nice matte, mousse texture, however it's lasting power doesn't blow me a way. I feel that it gets a bit patchy throughout the day. I also wouldn't recommend this for people who struggle with dry patches.

My shade: Alaska
MAC terms: NC25
Coverage: medium+
Finish: matte
Thumbs up or down: neither

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation
I see the appeal of this foundation, but it's not for me. It has incredibly good coverage considering how light weight it feels. However, I find that these ultra fluid foundations have a tendency to cling to drier areas and make the texture of your skin look unflattering. I also found that this foundation did not last well at all on my oily skin. I don't mind a bit of fading, but it visibly separated on me. Stick to NARS Sheer Glow.

My shade: Mont Blonc
MAC terms: NW15/20
Coverage: full
Finish: matte
Thumbs up or down: down




Laura Mercier Candleglow Foundation
This foundation didn't get a lot of love when it launched. I think where Laura Mercier maybe went wrong was calling it a foundation. There's an expectation to have a certain level of coverage when you call something a foundation. Whereas, this has more like a tinted moisturizer level of coverage, maybe a touch more. It applies nicely to the skin and sits between a glowy and a satin finish (good for those with oilier skins that still like a glow). The texture is a nice in between – not too thick or too thin. As for lasting power, it's not the greatest, but it doesn't go patchy or separate, so that's alright.

My shade: Macadamia
MAC terms: NC20/25
Coverage: light
Finish: dewy/satin
Thumbs up or down: up

Estee Edit Skin Glowing Balm
Ugh, I included this in my worst high end makeup post. I stand by that decision. I keep trying it out again, hoping it'll be different. But no, it still smells like burning plastic and it's still a bitch to blend. I don't mind how sheer and glowy it is, but it's not worth the work.

My shade: Dune
MAC terms: NC20
Coverage: sheer
Finish: dewy and crap
Thumbs up or down: huge down

MUFE Ultra HD Foundation
This is the primary foundation I use in my freelance kit. It's awesome. It lasts quite long, unless you're excessively oily, it looks and feels lightweight on the skin and it gives a medium coverage. I like the natural/satin skin finish, I like the fact that it doesn't have fragrance or an SPF, I like that it works for many different skin types... the only criticism I have is that I do feel as though it slightly emphasizes pores and fine lines.

My shade: Y245
MAC terms: NC25
Coverage: medium
Finish: natural/satin
Thumbs up or down: up

Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation
I've only tried this a couple of times so I won't say much. My first impression was that it's not really a hydrating foundation, despite how Tarte markets it. It has about a satin to matte finish. Wear time was so so and, like the NARS Luminous Weightless, I'm not crazy about the super fluid formula. I did however feel like this one applied a  bit better (much better with fingers than a brush). I've got to give props to Tarte for fancifying their packaging for this foundation though.

My shade: Light-Medium Neutral
MAC terms: Neutral 25
Coverage: medium+
Finish: satin/matte
Thumbs up or down: can't say yet

YSL Touch Eclat Foundation
This is a lovely, slightly dewy, medium to full coverage foundation. I like the way that it applies to my skin and I like the way the texture feels in my hands. It's feels quite luxe, as you'd expect it to be. Plus, the packaging is obviously stunning. For the most part I only have good things to say about this foundation, except that I'd want the lasting power to be slightly better. Still, that's my number one gripe with almost every foundation and it's only because I have oily skin and I work in a fairly hot and sweaty environment. 

My shade: BD25
MAC terms: NC25
Coverage: medium-full
Finish: dewy/satin
Thumbs up or down: up

Diorskin Nude BB Cream
I love this BB Cream. It lasts well on the skin. It looks very natural – slightly dewy and smooth. It comes in a beautiful tube. It's so close to being my dream base, except that the shade range sucks. I have Fair 2, which is one of the more yellow shades, and it's still a bit too pink for me. I've got a full review here.

My shade: 02
MAC terms: Neutral 25
Coverage: light-medium
Finish: dewy/satin
Thumbs up or down: up

Chantecaille Just Skin Tinted Moisturizer
Do I think this tinted moisturizer is worth $100. Pffft no. Am I tickled that I snatched it up for a tenth of the price of a blog sale? You betcha. It is a gorgeous product. It's quite thick for a tinted moisturizer, but I don't dislike that. It again, leaves a nice, smooth texture to the skin. The finish is glowy, without being overly greasy looking, and it lasts well on my skin throughout the day. If you have cash to glow, then it's worth it, otherwise stick to the NARS Tinted Moiturizer.

My shade: Glow
MAC terms: NC30
Coverage: light+
Finish: dewy
Thumbs up or down: up


No comments:

Post a Comment