9.18.2014

10 THINGS I'VE LEARNED ABOUT MAKEUP


I've seen quite a few of these “10 things I've learned” posts, most notably from Jennypurr, and I've always found them enjoyable to read. I thought I'd get in on a piece of the action by sharing ten things I've learned about makeup. A few years ago I was a total noob about this stuff. I couldn't do a smokey eye for shet and I was rubbish at covering spots. But through finding wonderful ladies such Lisa Eldridge, Sam and Nic and Tanya Burr (and I guess going to makeup school... though honestly I think I learned less there) I feel like l've come a decent ways. So here we are with 10 tips about makeup:

1. If you're going for a smokey eye try doing your eye makeup first. You won't have to worry about fall out mucking up your foundation.

2. Don't bring your contour too far in or it can look like stripes. It should stop roughly in line with your outer eye, which is usually where the natural shadows from your cheekbones end.

3. If you're new to winged liner I really believe a thin angled brush and a gel liner is the easiest way to go.

4. If you're struggling with the shape of your winged liner, try tracing it out first with black eyeshadow, then go over it with your gel. Also you can smooth out your gel liner after with the black eyeshadow if it's looking wobbly. 

5. Brow powders are easier to get looking soft and natural than brow pencils. They're especially great for beginners.

6. In terms of covering blemishes, the brush you use for your concealer is just as important as the concealer itself. My favourites are the Real Techniques Domed Eyeshadow Brush (for larger, cystic acne) and the Coastal Scents Detail Mini (for pesky little red pimples).

7. A highly pigmented, dry textured cream concealer (such as Mac Studio Finish) is the best way to cover little pimples. The dry texture clings well and the cream formula builds well. Set with a powder when your done!

8. It's worth investing in good brushes. You can achieve so much more with them. The best part is that these days “investing” doesn't have to mean spending a lot of money thanks to brands like Real Techniques and Zoeva.

9. If you don't have lip liner, use a lip brush to smooth out the edges of your lipstick. It helps to create a cleaner look, especially with this new generation of liquid lipsticks.

10. Good skincare can make a huge difference to how your makeup looks. If you've got a smooth canvas, the paints will sit much better on top.




16 comments:

  1. Love these tips, I agree with every one of them! And well, I think the same as I've done a basic makeup course and all I've learnt is ways to correct face and eye shapes. YouTube is the best ;) xx

    Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great tips, they are all so useful!

    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tips, especially for beginners!!!


    www.wingmeadream.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where I would be with my makeup game if it wasn't for all the makeup artists on YouTube!
    Allison from www.mercuteify.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to start applying no. 6! I'm rubbish at covering my spots haha. I just try to suffocate it with heaps of concealer and it's still not covered sufficiently. I've learnt so much from blogs and Youtube too!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with every single point made here and was especially happy to see we use the same trick with number four ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree with everything you're saying! Especially the winged liner tips - when I'm in a rush and can't be careful with my liquid liner, I always go back to the angle brush + gel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice, especially when it comes to covering blemishes. Will have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I had an awesome time in makeup school, but I truly feel like Youtube has been way more of an education.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Learning to cover spots (thanks to Lisa Eldridge) has been the greatest thing. I barely use any product, but with a tiny brush I can tap it on exactly where I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes. I feel like for the first time in my life I'm finally starting to get the hang of liner, but that trick has been vair useful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fine liner brushes are a little more precise, but angled brushes just do all the work for you. They're great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these! Thanks for sharing.

    Winged eyeliner is my cross! Honestly. I find it so hard, and I practice every freaking weekend because I want to achieve a decent wing. Damn.

    I have a question about concealers. Do you think the concealer you use to cover spots or decoloration should be in the same shade as the one you use for under-eye area?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tend to go one shade lighter under my eyes to brighten things up, but you could use the same shade under your eyes as you do for the rest of your face. You just don't want to be using a shade too light anywhere other than under your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for these! They're so helpful!

    http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=3444158705&group=0&frame_type=a&blog=1221&frame=1&click=0&user=0

    ReplyDelete