10.20.2014

REPURPOSING BEAUTY PRODUCTS


I recently bought a product that was way too harsh for its intended use. I can't stand wasting a full bottle of something, so it got me thinking about how else I could make use of it... and then that got me thinking of interesting ways to use other beauty products I have stashed away. Long story short, I've got some ideas of how to make use of unloved beauty products or even just get a good two for one out of a product.

Hairspray
Hairspray can be used as a brow set. Grab a brow spoolie, spray some hairspray onto it and comb it through your brows. It should keep everything locked into place like a brow gel would.

Conditioner
If you've got a conditioner that's too watery and weak for your hair, there are two good uses for it. 1. Use it to shave your legs. I find that the razor smooths easily over my legs and it helps with the dreaded “dry, itchy shave leg.” 2. Use it as a leave in conditioner. My hairdresser sister informs me that conditioner and leave in conditioner really are the same thing when it comes down to it. So a lightweight one that doesn't weigh down the hair will work perfectly.

Loose translucent setting powder
Loose translucent powder can double as a dry shampoo. Sprinkle it into your roots, massage it in and it'll absorb any excess oil. Magical. The nice thing about it is that it won't have that gross baby powder smell that some dry shampoos have. 

Exfoliating toner
This is the product that gave me the idea for this post. I recently bought an exfoliating toner that's too full of alcohol to use on my face. What it does do fabulously is work as a razor bump treatment. If you compare it to the infamous Tend Skin treatment, the core ingredients are much the same. And the toner that I bought – the Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Toner – is actually more affordable than the Tend Skin. Huzzah!

Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap
Of course I had to include the ultimate multi-use product. These soaps are phenomenal. They foam like crazy, despite not containing any SLS, and they do everything. They can be used as laundry detergent, dish soap, shampoo, tooth paste (though... maybe not) and the list goes on. What I personally like to use mine for is as a body wash and a brush cleaner.

Rosehip oil/Vitamin E oil
Finally if you've recently got a piercing and you have a bottle of rosehip or vitamin E oil lying around... crack it out. I find applying a small amount of oil to my piercing stops it from getting too dried out and those two oils in particular are known to reduce the appearance of scaring.

Okay, so what are you two for one ideas? What good ones have I missed?

15 comments:

  1. I love me some multi purpose products and you got some great tips here thanks :D! I recently discovered Dr. Bronner Magic Soap and I love it for cleaning my brushes, it's great to see that it has so many other uses x


    http://www.sacoapartments.com/blog/saco_beauty_blogger_challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love multipurpose stuff! I usually use lipstick as blush when I'm I a rush, bronzer as eyeshadow to save space, etc. etc.

    ellabooxo • beauty & lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post, it has given me some tips! I didn't know about the toner for razor bumps, I'm definitely going to try that out.

    I had some of that St Ives face scrub which, thankfully, I've stopped using on my face - but it's great for my legs!

    Francine from The Graduate Goddess xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you could use an exfoliating toner for razor bumps! I'm definitely giving that a go! This post has such good ideas!

    Jodie xo // La Lune Song

    ReplyDelete
  5. what do they say Dr Bronners has like 20 uses? Don't think I could stomach using it as toothpaste though!
    Allison from www.mercuteify.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a post, and I love the toner-for-razor-bumps idea! I'm definitely going to give that a try with a high-level-alcohol toner I have in the back of the beauty drawer. Thanks babe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I missed those two! I actually do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that St. Ives one is an excellent idea too! More creamy than your average body scrub.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know. I think that's the one idea that goes too far for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so happy to find a use for that Clinique toner after being so disappointed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also used my Pai rosehip oil on my wrist piercing! It's good stuff! I also tried serozinc, since it's anti-bacterial :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The exfoliating toner tip is genius! Had never thought about it. Dr Bronner is such a great deep brush cleanser. Great tips!

    Alexandra
    Glam O’Clock | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh serozinc was a good idea! Soothing and antibacterial. If only I could get my hands on that here! I don't get why LRP doesn't release it everywhere. They'd make a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know! When I was still home last summer I didn't realized that it was just sold in France, but now that I'm here for a few months I'm taking advantage! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Dr. Bronner's! :) My mom didn't want to believe that we could use it to clean everything, lol.

    ReplyDelete