1.26.2015

A HAIRY AFFAIR


I really decided not to hold back here what with the title and the sheepskin background in the photo. I'll admit I'm still a little bit squeamish about the topic of hair removal, but I reckoned if we're going to do this, let's do it right. A lot of us are blessed with a little more fuzz than we might desire, especially those of us that are Armenian... it's not as glamourous as the Kardashians make it out to be. So I thought it was due time to have a chat about a few options, really clear things up so we're not so *fuzzy* on the details. Good one Holl.

1. Tweezers
A good pair of tweezers in worth the investment. Decent tweezers will allow you to grab a hairy little bastard before it becomes obvious to the naked eye. Tweezerman tweezers are obviously a great choice. I have the mini ones, which are half the price, and they work a treat (or rather worked a treat before the ol' boyfriend got his hands on them for his own purposes). If you're looking for a more affordable option, Revlon has some well made ones too.

A little something I've learned over the years is to make sure there's no oil on your tweezers or on the area you're working on before you go in. Try wiping the area down with a toner first. I think you'll find you get maximum gripping power that way.

2. Japonesque Touch Up Razor Set
I learned about this fella from Anna's channel. It's such a handy tool to have. Essentially it's a mini touch up razor that can tackle fine hairs. Generally I wouldn't opt for shaving hair, but it's perfect for one thing in particular. I get some fine hairs going from the top of my brows up to my hairline that I can't see well enough to remove with tweezers. This little device lets me quickly whisk them away with no trouble.

3. An Epilator
This is one of the best tools I've ever spent my money on. They're not the cheapest devices and I'll admit that they hurt like a biatch to use, but they work. In case you've never seen an epilator before it's basically a giant, terrifying, rotating tweezer machine. While waxing would be preferable pain wise and should probably still be reserved for larger areas, the epilator is great for smaller areas of hair removal. The advantage of the epilator over waxing is that you don't have to wait for the hair to grow out. It's great for areas like the upper lip. It's also good for if you're feeling self conscious about excess arm hair because it allows you to remove as much or as little hair as you want, as opposed to waxing, which is an all or nothing deal.

4. Veet Hair Removal Gel Cream (Sensitive Formula)
It isn't my personal preference to use hair removal creams, but if you're really sensitive to pain this might be a good option. I wanted to include this one from Veet because I think for what it is, it's actually quite good quality. Veet has come a long way since I was a kid. I've noticed that the Bliss Fuzz Off Hair Removal Cream is quite popular. However, it's $30 Canadian for a tube and I've heard complaints of it being too harsh. The Veet option comes in at under $10 (for a lot more product might I add) and is designed for sensitive skin.

5. Razor Bump Treatment
Finally, another good product to have in your stash is a razor bump treatment. I used Tend Skin for ages and I would really recommend it above anything else. However, as I mentioned in my Repurposing Beauty Products post, another handy trick that I've learned is that clarifying toners can often also be used as a razor bump treatment. There's also a recipe for homemade Tend Skin on makeupalley.

27 comments:

  1. (also I'm tempted to try that Japonesque thing but I'm scared I'll end up having to shave my face for the rest of my life)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the mini tweezerman ones too and they're fab, is there a good reason to buy the big ones over these? As far as I can tell they're exactly the same function-wise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epilators are awesome. It hurt like crazy the first few times I used it, but I love it now. It makes getting rid of underarm hair so easy.

    blush and simplicity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Epilators are the best! They are pricy but it will last a very long time and you don't have to pay each month to go to be "waxxing"...

    http://atouchofpink1.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to use my epilator more, but I'm just too lazy and opt for the razor!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must say I'm a tweeter and shaver gal :/. I have an Epilator, but ouch ouch ouch. Way too scared of the pain. And Hair Removal Creams give me a rash. So for me it is wax when I can and then shaving the rest of the time. I do like the sound of the Japonesque Touch Up Razor set though.

    Very funny detail with the sheepskin in the background. Hehe.

    Just popped by to let you know i have nominated you for The Very inspiring Blogger Award. You can check out my post about it here: http://www.dandelionblue.co.uk/2015/01/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award.html#more

    xx Dandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The japonesque razor is such a handy thing to have in your collection for last minute touch ups.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a huge fan of just about anything Tweezerman, okay well I only own the tweezers and eyelash curlers, but both are fantastic! I also love the sheepskin rug choice, nice touch ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always lusting after those rose gold Tweezerman lash curlers you have. And thanks... about the rug :3

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is fantabuloso. Seriously though, really handy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to get a rash from hair removal creams too. I remember them literally burning my skin. But I didn't get that from this one luckily!

    Thank you for the nomination by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha I'm like that a lot too. So hard to motivate myself when it comes to pain. But the epilator is just the best for some thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh. It always takes so much strength of will to do the underarms, but when I do... it's just the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also what? You mean like the hairs would get thicker?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sometimes use avene thermal spring water after I have shaved, it really helps!


    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sort of thing is definitely not spoken about enough as it should be! I love my epilator, shaving just becomes the biggest chore!


    pippibee.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use a refreshing toner, Robert's Rose Water, on my skin after I have shaved. Otherwise I can't bear the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. While I'm a definite tweezer and/or threading girl for my brows, I recently picked up an Epilator which has been a life changer for areas such as the upper lip. That said, it hurts like hell. I wish it didn't work so well because I literally have to motivate myself to use it. On the packaging it said it might cause "some discomfort" which is the understatement of the year.

    Amazing post as always!

    Morgan // www.blushingwit.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is an interesting tip. Imma take out my Avene water after and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha I know that feeling. Gearing yourself to use the epilator. And yeah some discomfort doesn't really cover the pain factor of slowly ripping out hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As a Spanish woman: I feel your struggle. I feel it so much. I've been thinking about getting a touch up razor for a while, because I can tweeze as much as I want... there are ALWAYS fine hairs there that get on my nerves but can't catch. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha Spanish and Armenian... we know how it is. The touch up razor is awesome though. When it comes to stuff like this I want all the tools I can get in my arsenal.

    ReplyDelete