5.13.2016

THE BRONZER RUNDOWN


You know when you look at your makeup stash and you think sweet Jesus how did I end up with so many bronzers? No? Probably just me. I'll check myself into rehab after I'm done typing this up. Bronzer is a staple product for me. I wear it almost every day and the days that I don't I usually regret it when I catch the ghost staring back at me in the mirror. Because it's such a staple product, I find myself dabbling in new bronzers quite often, trying to find the perfect one. After rifling through my drawers I've discovered that I've accumulated over a dozen. Yikers. I decided now would be a good time to give you a rundown of each one before things get any more out of hand.

Tanya Burr Rosy Flush Cheek Palette
I feel confused about this bronzer. The colour is beautiful and the subtle shimmer is really nice, but something about it just doesn't sit right. I can't quite figure out what it is. It's almost as though the bronzer is sitting on top of the skin awkwardly instead of meshing with it. I'm going to have to keep playing around with it.

Too Faced Chocolate Bronzer
I do think that the chocolate bronzers live up to their hype. They smell yummy, they're easy to blend and the colours are actually more cool toned than you think they're going to be. My only gripe is that I feel like you'd burn through these bronzers quite quickly if you were using them every day. There's a lot of excess powder flying around.

Bourjois Chocolate Bronzer
I've had this guy for ages and it is definitely a nice bronzer. It's completely matte, it's not overly powdery and it has a more red undertone, which works quite well to create that I've just come out of the sun look. Also it smells like coconut chocolate. Come on.

MAC Mineralized Skinfinish in Medium Deep
This isn't technically a bronzer, but gal darnit I'm including it anyways. I originally went to go buy MAC's Give Me Sun, but when I realized just how orange that one is, I purchased this instead. I really like this as a bronzer. It's still a touch more on the orange side (so you'll probably want to avoid it if you have pink undertones), but it creates that beautiful matte but not flat effect that gives your skin nice dimension.

L-R: Tanya Burr Bronzer, Bourjois Chocolate Bronzer, Too Faced Chocolate Bronzer, MAC Mineralized Skinfinish, Guerlain Terracotta 03, The Body Shop Honey Bronzer 03, Urban Decay Sun-Kissed, Elf Blush & Bronzer Duo, Bourjois Bronzing Primer, Benefit Dew The Hoola

Elf Blush and Bronzer Duo in St Lucia
I bought this a little while back, curious to see how it compares to the NARS Laguna Bronzer. It didn't quite do it for me. I mean, to be fair it cost $4, but you can see the difference in quality. It doesn't apply as nicely and the glitter particles are a bit chunky. I do like the olive tone however. So I'd say it's not a fail by any means, it's just not my favourite.

Benefit Dew The Hoola
This, however, is a fail in every way. I don't understand what this is meant to be. The colour is nothing like the original Hoola Bronzer (which is a great product). This is straight up orange. And I might try to find a way to forgive the orange, except that it also blends horribly onto the skin. Also, this might be a low blow, but the packaging is blindingly ugly.

Urban Decay Beach Bronzer in Sun-Kissed
The tone of this bronzer is quite unique as it's got a little more pink in it than your average bronzer. It's completely matte, blends nicely and the packaging is just sew dang cute. The price point is better than a lot of high end bronzers too.

The Body Shop Honey Bronzer
I still think that this is the ultimate bronzer for fair skin. It's the perfect tone – not too warm, not too cool – and it builds up nice and slowly. I have mine in the shade 03, but they make fairer tones.

Guerlain Terracotta Bronzer
I know Guerlain's bronzers are pretty famous, but I thought that was just one of those things that didn't really mean anything. You know what I mean? But I have to say that after trying it, I really do think it's top notch. It applies perfectly. You get enough pigment that you don't spend forever building it up, but it's not overkill. There's no excess powder flying around due to the fact that they're hand pressed. The only issue I have is that the shimmer in it isn't fine enough.

Bourjois Bronzing Primer
I feel like I shouldn't like this product because it is a bit on the orange side. However, there are a lot of nice things about it. The texture is beautiful. It's a whipped cream formula that blends silkily onto the skin and I like that you can wear it under or over foundation. The colour isn't necessarily a problem for me because I usually only wear it as a layering product when I want to do an extremely bronzed look.

After careful thought and deliberation, I've decided that my top picks would have to be (in no particular order):

1. The MAC Mineralized Skin Finish
2. The Body Shop Honey Bronzer
3. Guerlain Terracotta Bronzer

However I have to give some honorable mentions to some bronzers that I don't own, but love using at work:

1. The Laura Mercier Bronze 02
2. The Perricone MD No Bronzer Bronzer
3. The NARS Laguna Liquid Bronzer


No comments:

Post a Comment