5.16.2016

THE HIGHLIGHTER RUNDOWN


I've been meaning to make a mini-series for a while now. I thought it might be nice to pick a category of product – eyeliners, highlighters, foundations, etc – and give you a rundown of my experience with each one. I already covered bronzers in the last post and today we're moving onto highlighters. I hope you guys like this idea and if there's any category you're especially interested in hearing about, please let me know!

Kiko Stick Highlighter in 101 Rose
When I want a beautiful, soft highlight I'll reach for this one. It's not over the top in any way, but it provides a lovely glow to the skin. As I've said a million and one times before, I love a cream highlight. They look the most natural.

Hourglass Incandescent Light
Now that Incandescent Light is its own product, a Strobing Powder, I think it deserves a mention. I do like these highlighters. The colours are beautiful and they apply nicely, however it's worth noting that they definitely have a chunkier glitter effect to them. There's no hiding that you're wearing highlighter.

L'oreal Lumi Primer
This is like the cheap version of the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl. It's a true white highlight that I personally love. I find that the shimmer in this product is so incredibly fine that it's undetectable to the naked eye. It truly looks like you're glowing from within. Bonus, it's very versatile. It can be used as a primer, mixed with foundation, or as a liquid highlighter.

Sleek Solstice Palette
This baby is not for the feinthearted. If you wanna go big this is the highlighter to do it with. It has an almost wet look to the skin. It reads even more intense than TheBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. Plus, this palette is an insanely good value. You get four crazy highlights for $15. That is rydoncukrunkulous.

Jouer Highlighter in Champagne
This is possibly my favourite highlight of the bunch. Everything about it is perfection to me. There's no visible shimmer, it gives a beautiful shine to the skin and the formula of the cream is excellent. It's so creamy and emollient that it pats on top of any makeup without disturbing it. So, so good. You can see it on in this very old photo of me.

TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer
Ah Mary-Lou, you're everyone's favourite highlighter. This is undeniably an phenomenal formula. I've never seen a powder highlighter go on so creamily. It gives a super intense highlight (again, without glitter chunks) in a beautiful, universally flattering champagne tone. Definitely one that every highlighter lover should own.

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone
I've got to give props to this product because I honestly believe it is what set the high standards for highlighters that we have these days. This, like the L'oreal Lumi Primer, is a perfectly fine shimmer that makes it appear as though you're glowing from within. Whenever I have clients that want to try a highlighter for the first time, but are frightened of looking like a disco ball, I show them this.
L-R: Mary-Lou Mainzer (mostly out of shot), Kiko 101 Rose, L'oreal Lumi Primer, Colourpop Smoke N Whistles, Elf Pinktastic, Urban Decay Fireball, NARS Dual Intensity Adoration, Becca Moonstone, Jouer Champagne, Sleek Solstice (tri-swatched), Hourglass Incandescent Light.

NARS Dual Intensity Blush in Adoration
The light shade in this Dual Intensity Blush makes a beautiful highlight. I find it doesn't go on that strong when it's dry, as the formula is quite stiff, but you add a little water to your brush and, wham bam thank you ma'am, you've got a beautiful pink-toned highlighter. 

Urban Decay Highlighter in Fireball
I love all the new Urban Decay Highlighters that launched. They nailed it. But Fireball is actually something I've never seen before. It has an eye-catching duo chrome effect that makes it very recognizable. The colour sits in between a highlight and a blush on me, so I apply it higher up on the cheek and it leaves me glowing all over. I've got a picture of it on here.

Colourpop Highlighter in Smoke N Whistles
For $8, hell yeah. Colourpop doesn't play around. Their highlights are fantastic and intense. I find that the cream/powder formula is incredibly long wearing. The colour of Smoke N Whistles is everything I could ask for. It has that slight pink tone to it that looks bangin' on fair skin tones. P.S. It applies best with fingers. 

Elf Baked Blush in Pinktastic
We're ending with a good old cheapy. Let's be honest, the quality of this highlighter isn't exceptional. It's a bit stiff and not the most long wearing. However, all of that changes when you dampen your brush. I'd been using this powder dry for ages, and when I finally added water to my brush I was amazed. Suddenly this baby turns into the most bad-ass, heavy duty highlighter. Yay baked formulas! For $3 and a bit of water, that's pretty great.

Like last time, I wanted to give some honorable mentions to products that I don't own, but use as work and consider to be well worth the money:

1. Cover FX Illumintor in Moonlight (I just have to say that I feel like this is a hidden gem that is absolutely amazing.)
2. Laura Mercier Highlight 01
3. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors Pressed and Poured
4. NARS Copacabana Liquid Illuminator
5. Marc Jacobs Glow Stick


No comments:

Post a Comment